Syrian FM in Cairo, calls US to condemn assassination of Yassin
Washington undermined attempts to improve its image in the Arab World by failing to condemn Israel's assassination of Hamas founder, Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, Syrian Foreign Minister Faruq al-Shara said on Tuesday.
"The entire international community denounced this attack, except the United States which refused to condemn it," Shara told reporters after talks with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.
According to AFP, Shara called on the United States to "reconsider its position, which would save them a great many of their efforts they are making to improve their image in the Arab and Muslim world."
According to SANA, Shara conveyed Mubarak a message from President Bashar al-Assad regarding the current regional situation and the bilateral ties to complete talks of the summit recently held in Damascus between al-Assad and Mubarak.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmad Maher attended the meeting. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Sharon says Israel had ''natural right'' to assassinate Hamas founder
- Arabs, Iran, UK condemn assassination of Sheikh Ahmed Yassin
- Head of Jewish Community in Morocco condemns Yassin assassination
- Sheikh Ahmed Yasin assassination - Recaps of events
- Palestinian Shot Dead by Israeli Troops, Another Dies of Injuries