Syrian President receives Greek Foreign Minister for talks
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad received in Damascus Sunday the Greek Foreign Minister, Chairman of the European Council of Ministers, George Papandreou and an accompanying delegation.
During the meeting, discussions focused on the necessity and mechanism of unifying and coordinating efforts among Syria, the European Union (EU) and Iraq's neighboring states to avoid a war against Iraq, according to SANA news agency.
Papandreou praised the role, which Syria had played at the Security Council and in Istanbul to avoid aggression against Iraq.
Syrian President Assad, for his part, asserted that the international inspector reports underlined Iraq’s cooperation with them and that the inspectors should be given more time.
President Assad underlined the importance of strengthening European cooperation with Iraq's neighboring states in reaching a peaceful solution to the Iraqi crisis in the framework of the United Nations and the Security Council. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Syrian President receives Iraqi Vice President for talks
- Syrian President receives US Assistant Secretary of State for Mid-East affairs
- Syria’s President receives Spanish Foreign Minister
- President Assad receives message from Turkish Prime Minister on Iraq
- Chairman of the Iraqi Governing Council holds talks in Syria