Syrian Press Skeptical about US-Led Panel on Middle East Violence
Syria's official press expressed skepticism Wednesday about the US-led international commission investigating the causes of nearly 11 weeks of Israeli-Palestinian violence.
"The hopes are minimal for the commission to say anything," wrote the ruling party's newspaper, Al-Baath. "Because even if the commission contends that Israel is responsible for the violence, the results will be delivered to the American administration, and it will be as if nothing ever happened.
"A dozen commissions have visited the region without being able to advance a solution in favor of a just and lasting regional peace," the newspaper said.
Teshrin, Syria's government newspaper, said it hopes "the commission will not be a pawn in the hands of the United States and that, like previous missions, it will not cover up Israeli crimes."
The commission was agreed to at the Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt summit in October to determine the roots of the fighting between Palestinians and Israelis, which started September 28 after Israeli right-wing politician visited a site in occupied east Jerusalem holy to both Muslims and Jews.
So far, 326 people, mostly Palestinian, have died in the fighting.
The commission is headed by former US senator and Northern Ireland peace process mediator George Mitchell -- DAMASCUS (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israel Report to Mitchell Panel to Blame Palestinians for Violence
- Inquiry Commission to Resume Investigations in February
- Palestinians Tell Mitchell Commission their Side of Uprising
- Israel: Fact-Funding Panel on Violence Must Continue its Mission
- Israel Says Ready to Work with Inquiry Panel on Middle East Violence