Syrian regime open to ceasefire proposal
The Syrian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that Damascus is ready to discuss a cease-fire during the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha, according to local media. " The Syrian side is willing to consider this option," said the ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi.
A proposal for a cease-fire was made by the Joint Special Envoy of the UN and the Arab League for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi, who held talks in several countries in the region in order to develop a plan to calm the situation in Syria. So far, the armed rebels haven't shown an interest in the proposed cease-fire, expressing their determination to continue the armed confrontation with government troops. Brahimi is set to visit Syria during the weekend to discuss with Syrian officials the outcome of his recent regional tour, sources said.
Meanwhile, the Syrian insurgents have established a unified command to oversee the fight against President Bashar al-Assad, it was learned from sources close to two rebel groups. The agreement was reached during a meeting Sunday inside the Syrian territory between dozens of rebel leaders, including the Free Syrian Army (FSA).
This move aims to improve coordination between the FSA and various armed groups to create a unified command that could help get better logistical support from the powers who favor the overthrow of the Syrian president.
"The agreement has been reached. They only have to sign now. Our foreign backers tell us: "Make sure you join, we need a clear and credible interlocutor to provide quality weaponry", "said a rebel source said, adding that Qatar and Turkey were the main forces pushing for such an agreement.
- Too little too late: Syrian regime says ceasefire would take two to tango
- Syrian regime proposes potential calls for ceasefire, announces stalemate
- Syrian regime vows to respect truce
- Arab League and OIC call for Syrian ceasefire during Eid
- Change in Moscow stand? Russia urges Syria to accept ceasefire proposal