Syrian-Saudi summit to discuss Hariri murder crisis
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad received on Sunday Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faysal at al-Rawada Palace in Damascus. The meeting was attended by Syria's Foreign Minister Farouk al-Shara and Saudi Ambassador in Damascus Ahmad al-Qahtani.
The talks discussed the latest developments concerning the U.N. investigation into the killing of Lebanese ex-premier Rafik al-Hariri, the official SANA news agency reported. Faysal arrived in Damascus earlier in the day on a brief visit to Syria.
Assad is scheduled to leave for the Saudi city of Jeddeh later on Sunday for a meeting with Saudi King Abdullah on Hariri's case, reports have indicated.
It should be mentioned that Hariri was an intimate friend of the Saudi royal family and held Saudi citizenship. Following his killing, Riyadh has played an important role in persuading Syria to agree to cooperate with the UN probe into the murder.
Meanwhile, Syria has reportedly rejected the UN request to question Assad but agreed to let Shara be quizzed. Damascus has made no official confirmation on the reports.
- Syria president receives Saudi foreign minister for talks
- Syrian President receives Saudi Foreign Minister
- Hariri probe: Annan thanks Assad for Syrian cooperation
- Saudi king pays historic visit to Damascus
- Saudi-Egyptian summit to discuss Syria crisis; Damascus ready to cooperate within limits of ”sovereignty”