Taliban attacks Bagram Air Base following Obama statments
A U.S. soldier at Bargram Air Base, about 60km from Kabul. (Photo courtesy: U.S. Air Force)
Click here to add Afghan police as an alert
Disable alert for Afghan police,
Click here to add Barack Obama as an alert
Disable alert for Barack Obama,
Click here to add Facebook as an alert
Disable alert for Facebook,
Click here to add Huffington Post as an alert
Disable alert for Huffington Post,
Click here to add Kabul as an alert
Disable alert for Kabul,
Click here to add North Atlantic Treaty Organization as an alert
Disable alert for North Atlantic Treaty Orga ...,
Click here to add Taliban as an alert
Disable alert for Taliban,
Click here to add Washington as an alert
Disable alert for Washington,
Click here to add Zabihullah Mujahid as an alert
Disable alert for Zabihullah Mujahid
The Taliban on Wednesday claimed responsibility for the killings of four U.S. forces in an overnight attack on Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan, just hours after Washington said its officials would meet the insurgents for talks.
“Last night two big rockets were launched at Bagram (air base) which hit the target. Four soldiers are dead and six others are wounded. The rockets caused a major fire,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told the AFP.
According to the Huffington Post, insurgents attacked the base with some kind of indirect fire, leaving open the possibility it was hit by rockets or mortar rounds.
Read more: See our latest news on the Middle East
Earlier, President Barack Obama had welcomed the planned talks between the U.S. and the Taliban as an “important first step” but warned of a long and bumpy road ahead as Afghan and NATO troops continue to battle a 12-year insurgency.
The Taliban broke off contact with the Americans last year and have always refused to negotiate with Kabul, but on Wednesday they unveiled an office in Qatar “to open dialogue between the Taliban and the world."
Their statement, however, made no direct reference to peace talks.
Wednesday also saw NATO’s formal transfer of responsibility for security to the Afghan police and army. About 100,000 international combat troops, 68,000 of them from the U.S., are due to withdraw by the end of next year.