Tehran tells its forces to be prepared for U.S. attack
Iran's army chief said on Wednesday his forces had been told to make preparations for a possible attack by the United States on the Islamic Republic, which Washington has accused of supporting terrorism.
Joint chief of staff General Hassan Firouzabadi told local reporters Iran's top security decision-making body had recently reviewed "enemy threats", state television said, according to Reuters. He said Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's supreme leader and chief commander of the armed forces, had told the army and the elite Revolutionary Guards to "get ready for two main tasks".
"The first is to make ready our arsenal for deterrent purposes. Secondly, if something comes up, we should be quickly able to punish the source of aggression," the general further added. The television said his remarks were in reaction to "recent U.S. threats". (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iraqi forces prepare for massive ground attack against Daesh
- Lebanese PM Seeks Beirut-Tehran Coordination on Issues Tied to US Terror Attacks
- US cable: Syria tells Iran it won't join war against Israel
- Kuwait to allow U.S. attack Iraq from its soil as Baghdad hails Riyadh; Israel “quietly” helps U.S. preparations