Suicide car aims at NATO convoy: kills both Americans and Afghans
A suicide car bomb targeting a NATO military convoy in Kabul has reportedly killed two US soldiers, four contractors but also nine Afghan civilians, including two children on Thursday.
"At around 8:00 am (0900 IST) this morning, terrorists detonated an explosives-packed (Toyota) Corolla car near a convoy of foreign forces," Hashmat Stanikzai, the Kabul police spokesman, said.
Police added that at numerous houses had been severely damaged and that the area had been cordoned off.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai strongly condemned the attack.
"Terrorists and enemies of Afghanistan's peace brutally targeted a residential area," he said in a statement.
The capital had not witnessed such an attack in months. Last major suicide bombing took place on March 9 as a man on a bicycle blew himself up, killing nine people upon US Defense Secretary Chuck Hage's visit.
The attack took place shortly after the Taliban launched their annual "spring offensive" on April 27, announcing multiple suicide bombings, "insider attacks" by Afghan soldiers and "special military tactics" aiming at international airbases and diplomatic buildings and with the goal of killing as many as possible.
NATO combat missions are due to end by the late 2014 and all foreign troops have already begun to withdraw from Afghanistan.
The Taliban regime was ousted in 2001, with little progress achieved in trying to end the multiple acts of violence.