Thousands of Syrian Students Protest in Support of Palestinians
Over 7,000 Syrian University students marched in the capital Damascus Tuesday in support of the 18-month-old Palestinian Intifada and against perceived US backing of Israel.
The Syrian students, many waving Palestinian and Syrian flags, marched through Damascus' main streets for almost an hour. "Stop the US support of the Zionist entity," read one banner while another said, "We sacrifice our souls and blood for you Palestine", according to Associated Press. A mock Israeli flag was also burned in the midst of the demonstrations.
Palestinian engineering student Rami Abu Hindi, aged 21, said he participated in the demonstration, "to show support for the uprising, which should continue because it's the only solution to restore usurped Arab rights, mainly the right of return (for Palestinian refugees)."
The students also voiced slogans urging Arab leaders meeting in Beirut next week to support the Palestinians both politically and militarily. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- In Sudan: Thousands Demonstrate in Support of Palestinians
- Thousands in Sudan Protest Against Israel and in Support of Palestinians
- Thousands of Palestinians Protest against Sharm el-Sheikh Summit
- Thousands of Arabs Show Support For Arafat
- Mass protest to be held in Damascus in support of Iraq, Palestinian uprising