Three British troops shot dead in southern Iraq
Three British soldiers have been killed and another badly wounded in an ambush in Iraq. A spokesman said the troops were shot by gunmen in the southern city of Basra.
"A serious incident took place in central Basra at approximately 0830 (0430 GMT) this morning," a British military spokesman said Saturday. "We can confirm that three British servicemen have been killed and one seriously injured."
A reporter for the BBC in Basra, who arrived at the scene shortly after the attack said the soldiers had been assaulted as they were entering a former secret police building now being used by British forces. According to this report, shots had been fired and a grenade thrown from a passing car.
Soldiers had sealed off the area of the attack around the University of Basra and were searching vehicles. (Albawaba.com)
- Iraq: Four British troops wounded
- British soldier killed near Basra
- Four American troops wounded in attacks as residents in Basra protest in streets
- Iraq: Car bombs kill at least eight as journalist shot dead; Two British soldiers held
- Iraq: Four British troops, six American soldiers killed as US copter goes down