Top Azhar Cleric Condemns Israeli Oppression in Occupied Territories
Sheikh Mohammad Sayyed Tantawi of Al Azhar, the top Muslim Sunni authority in the world, has called Israeli oppression of Palestinians "a crime against humanity."
The Palestinian press on Wednesday quoted Tantawi as telling visiting the president of Al Quds University, Seri Nusseibeh, "The attacks we see on Palestinian Muslims and Christians as well as on Islamic and Christian holy places in Jerusalem and Bethlehem and elsewhere are in fact crimes against humanity."
Tantawi criticized "those who equate Palestinian freedom fighters and terrorists."
"It is an outrageous lie to call those who defend themselves against oppression 'terrorists,'" Tantawi was quoted as saying – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Al Azhar's Top Sunni Muslim Cleric Condemns Palestinian, Israeli Attacks on Civilians
- Top Al Azhar Cleric: Islam Prohibits Terrorism
- Mufti of Jerusalem: OIC has Done Nothing to Support Palestinians
- Top Sunni Muslim cleric: Islam has nothing to do with terrorism; condemns killings of innocent
- Sheikh al-Azhar criticizes Saddam, allows suicide attacks against invasion forces