Top Azhar Cleric Condemns Israeli Oppression in Occupied Territories
Sheikh Mohammad Sayyed Tantawi of Al Azhar, the top Muslim Sunni authority in the world, has called Israeli oppression of Palestinians "a crime against humanity."
The Palestinian press on Wednesday quoted Tantawi as telling visiting the president of Al Quds University, Seri Nusseibeh, "The attacks we see on Palestinian Muslims and Christians as well as on Islamic and Christian holy places in Jerusalem and Bethlehem and elsewhere are in fact crimes against humanity."
Tantawi criticized "those who equate Palestinian freedom fighters and terrorists."
"It is an outrageous lie to call those who defend themselves against oppression 'terrorists,'" Tantawi was quoted as saying – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Al Azhar's Top Sunni Muslim Cleric Condemns Palestinian, Israeli Attacks on Civilians
- UNRWA Condemns Israeli Practices in Occupied Territories
- Top Sunni Muslim cleric: Islam has nothing to do with terrorism; condemns killings of innocent
- Egypt Mufti Challenges Azhar Top Cleric, says Suicide Attacks Legitimate
- Mubarak: Negotiations Only Solution for Israeli-Palestinian Conflict