Top Daesh commander targeted by US airstrike in Syria
Abu Omar al-Shishani, also known as Omar Checheni, is a Georgian national and considered a top Daesh leader in Syria. (AFP/File)
Click here to add Abu Omar al-Shishani as an alert
Disable alert for Abu Omar al-Shishani,
Click here to add Anadolu Agency as an alert
Disable alert for Anadolu Agency,
Click here to add Omar Checheni as an alert
Disable alert for Omar Checheni,
Click here to add Shadadi as an alert
Disable alert for Shadadi,
Click here to add Tarkhan Tayumurazovich Batirashvili as an alert
Disable alert for Tarkhan Tayumurazovich Bat ...
A U.S. airstrike near the northeastern Syrian town of Shadadi earlier this month targeted a senior Daesh operative, a defense official confirmed Tuesday to Anadolu Agency.
Speaking on the condition of anonymity, the official said Syrian-based Georgian national Abu Omar al-Shishani was the target of the March 4 strike, but he declined to provide further details.
Shishani, also known as Omar Checheni and Tarkhan Tayumurazovich Batirashvili, is considered a top Daesh leader by the U.S. that offered a reward of up to $5 million dollars for information about his whereabouts.
- US coalition forces hit Daesh targets in Iraq and Syria
- Senior Daesh commanders killed by coalition airstrikes in Iraq
- Key Daesh commander Omar al-Shishani said to have survived strikes
- Syrian air force targets Daesh oil tankers in airstrikes
- Women warriors against Daesh: A Kurdish force to be reckoned with