Tunisian family members of people killed during revolution go on hunger strike
Tunisian family members of those killed during the 2011 revolution have gone on hunger strike demanding justice, Press TV reports.
The relatives began the strike after the Tunisian Military Appeals Court ruled to release all former regime officials and top security officers who were accused of killing peaceful protesters during the revolution.
The hunger strike is being held at the office of the National Coordination Committee for Transitional Justice to denounce what the families describe as the complicity between the former regime and the military court.
“We are on hunger strike until justice is given otherwise we will escalate our protest movement in all regions,” said Ali Bouzayan, a father of one victim.
The 12 striking relatives have received support from the country’s Labor Union leaders, who represent 600,000 workers.
“The demands of families are legitimate and the Labor Union will support their cause until truth is revealed about those responsible for the violence and killings,” said Kassem Afaya of the Labor Union.
On April 12, the Military Appeals Court released all former officials accused of killing peaceful protesters. The court declared that killing people during the uprising was an act of duty.
According to the United Nations figures, more than 300 people were killed and many others wounded in a crackdown by security forces during the revolution.
In January 2011, Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, fled Tunisia to Saudi Arabia, following weeks of bloody protests over corruption, unemployment and high food prices.
Ben Ali has since then been handed two life sentences in prison for his regime’s crackdown on protesters prior to his ouster.