Turkey: 12 killed in clash near Iraqi border
Ten Kurdish fighters and two Turkish soldiers were killed in a clash in southeast Turkey, a news agency reported Saturday. The clash occurred near the town of Uludere, in Sirnak province, close to the border with Iraq, the Dogan news agency reported.
The fighters of the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, have been fighting for autonomy in southeast Turkey since 1984. According to the AP, Kurdish gunmen have killed about 80 soldiers since January.
- Five Turkish soldiers, four Kurdish gunmen killed in clash
- Clashes between Turkish forces, Kurdish militants leave at least two dead
- Turkey attacks Kurdish targets as Barzani calls for direct talks
- Five Turkish soldiers killed in attack near Iraq border
- Northern Iraq: Scores of Turkish soldiers, Kurdish fighters die