Turkey arrests 16 Islamists ''planning attack'' at upcoming NATO summit
Turkish police have arrested 16 suspected Islamists believed to have been planning a bomb attack during a NATO summit in Istanbul in June, which US President George W. Bush is expected to attend, police officials said Monday.
Police detained the 16 in an operation in the northwestern province of Bursa, a police statement said.
It added the suspects were members of Ansar al-Islam, a group linked to the al Qaeda network.
The NATO summit will mark the formal entry into the alliance of Romania, Bulgaria, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Slovenia and Slovakia. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Bulgarian Police Arrest Gunman who Endangered Four Presidents
- Turkey Arrests Four Suspected of Involvement With al-Qaeda Network
- Turkey Arrests al-Qaeda Members Planning Attack in Israel
- Ahead of NATO summit, Bush visit: Blasts in Istanbul, Ankara kill at least four, wound several others
- Istanbul: Small bomb blast injures policeman