Turkey claims they prevented 18 attacks this year
A woman places her head on the coffin of a victim at a funeral in Istanbul Monday, October 12, 2015. (AFP/Yasin Akgul)
Click here to add Abdulbaki Somer as an alert
Disable alert for Abdulbaki Somer,
Click here to add Ankara as an alert
Disable alert for Ankara,
Click here to add Efkan Ala as an alert
Disable alert for Efkan Ala,
Click here to add Interior Ministry as an alert
Disable alert for Interior Ministry,
Click here to add İstanbul as an alert
Disable alert for İstanbul,
Click here to add PKK as an alert
Disable alert for PKK,
Click here to add Sirnak city as an alert
Disable alert for Sirnak city
Eighteen attacks in Turkey have been prevented so far this year, Interior Minister Efkan Ala said Sunday.
"As the Interior Ministry and police department, we had already warned all related units to stay alert against a possible [attack]," he said in an interview with Kanal 7 TV. "In this way, we have thwarted 18 such incidents."
Ala was referring to security measures taken before the Feb. 17 Ankara car bomb attack that killed 29 people, mostly members of the military.
The minister said an inquiry had been launched to uncover any potential negligence in the run-up to the attack.
Referring to the explosives-laden car used in the Ankara attack, he added: "We have also captured three out of such four vehicles. A suspect was also nabbed and arrested in Istanbul's Bosphorus area the previous day.
"We are not openly revealing most of these, as we should not. We are just striving to maintain the peace of our citizens."
Asked whether the authorities had gathered further information on Ankara attack, Ala reiterated that the bomber was identified shortly after the explosion and the public informed.
"The whole network was soon brought to light, including those who had brought the vehicle, who sold it and delivered it," he said. "A total of 25 suspects were taken into custody. Fifteen of them were held on remand. The investigation is still underway."
Prosecutors have identified the bomber as Abdulbaki Somer, born in 1989. He reportedly joined the PKK organization in 2005 and was based in the Qandil mountains in northern Iraq until 2014.
Turning to the conflict in Turkey's southeast, Ala said counter-terrorism operations were continuing in Cizre, Sirnak province. He said the curfew, which has been in place since Dec. 16, would soon be lifted during the day.
In Diyarbakir's Sur district, an anti-terror operation is ongoing amid a round-the-clock curfew.
- Turkey’s ruling party denies claims of directing mob violence toward Kurds
- At least six die in Iraq attacks as arrests fail to prevent August bombings
- Turkey accuses PKK of kidnapping more than 300 children in two years
- Tenth anniversary: Paying tribute to the forgotten Arab victims of 9/11
- Turkey: Police prevent opposition congress in Ankara