Turkey clashes leave two soldiers, 34 PKK militants dead
Turkish special forces during clashes with Kurdish groups in central Diyarbakir June 9, 2015. (AFP/File)
Click here to add Ankara as an alert
Disable alert for Ankara,
Click here to add Kurdistan Workers’ Party as an alert
Disable alert for Kurdistan Workers’ Party,
Click here to add Sirnak Military Hospital as an alert
Disable alert for Sirnak Military Hospital,
Click here to add Turkish military as an alert
Disable alert for Turkish military
Thirty six people have been killed in two separate attacks by the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) militants against Turkey’s armed forces, the Turkish military says.
The raids in the southeastern Sirnak Province took place on Thursday night and Friday, killing two Turkish soldiers and wounding nine others, the General Staff announced in a statement on Friday.
The wounded soldiers were not in life-threatening conditions and were receiving care at the Sirnak Military Hospital.
The military also said that 34 PKK fighters were “rendered ineffective” in retaliatory operations that followed the attacks.
The PKK casualties are expected to increase as security operations backed by Turkish fighter jets are still ongoing, the statement added.
Since July, a deadly conflict has been going on between the PKK and Turkish security forces. The clashes began when Turkey set off its aerial campaign against Daesh targets in Syria as well as PKK positions in Turkey and Iraq.
Ankara’s military campaign against the PKK voided a shaky ceasefire that had been declared in 2013.
This article has been modified from the source material.
- Clashes between Turkish forces, Kurdish militants leave at least two dead
- Clashes in southeastern Yemen leave at least 34 dead
- Two Turkish soldiers killed in clashes with PKK militants
- Turkish soldiers kill four Daesh militants in southeastern Turkey
- Turkey’s military kills 1,250 PKK militants since July 2015