Turkey condemns Charlie Hebdo shooting in Paris
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu spoke on behalf of the entire country saying, "we are against any form of terror regardless of where it comes from and what its motives are." (AFP/Adem Altan)
“We, as Turkey, condemn with hatred any kind of terror,” Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said in Ankara on Wednesday.
“We are against any form of terror regardless of where it comes from and what its motives are,” he added.
At least twelve people were killed and five others critically injured in the attack, which saw three masked men armed with automatic weapons storming the offices of the magazine earlier in the day.
Rocco Contento, a Paris police spokesman, confirmed that three attackers entered the magazine’s offices at around 11:30 a.m. local time (1030 GMT), carrying pump-action shotguns and Kalashnikovs.
French President Francois Hollande has said France had experienced “an exceptional act of barbarism committed against a newspaper.”
The country has raised its alert status for Paris to the highest level.
Moscow has also reacted to the fatal attack.
In a telegram of condolence to the French president, Russian President Vladimir Putin said, “We decisively condemn this cynical crime. We reaffirm our readiness to continue active cooperation in combating the threat of terrorism.”