Turkey detains 126 people in dawn raids
The police said further arrests are expected across Istanbul. (AFP/File)
Istanbul police have taken almost 130 people into custody in a series of early morning raids across Turkey’s largest city.
Anti-terror, narcotic, anti-smuggling and organized crime teams raided 39 different districts across the city.
During the operations, police detained 129 suspects and recovered 23 unregistered guns, 465 grams of illegal drugs, contraband cigarettes and forged money.
Further arrests are expected, according to police.
- Turkish police carry out nationwide raids
- Turkey rounds up and detains Al Qaeda suspects in major militant crackdown
- Turkey arrests 40 potential ‘terror suspects’
- US forces kill at least five people during failed raid to catch Saddam
- Turkey detains eight allegedly linked to Kurdish rebels following Istanbul bombings