Turkey embassy suicide bomber was jailed on terrorism charges
According to Turkish officials, speaking to AP news agency, the bomber was released on probation from jail after being diagnosed with a brain disorder following a hunger strike.
The man responsible for the attack was identified as Ecevit Sanli, a 40-year-old Marxist associated with the militant Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front. A leftist group banned in Turkey.
Sanli was armed with both TNT and a hand grenade when he blew himself up outside the U.S. embassy in Ankara on Friday.
- Suicide bomb at U.S. embassy in Turkey kills 2
- Istanbul attacks: Nine people charged as accomplices to bombers
- Daesh sympathiser charged in suicide car bomb plot at US army base
- Report: Kuwaiti ‘Terror’ Group may be Linked to Cole Bombers
- Turkey identifies second suicide bomber in October Ankara attacks