Turkey receives Russian pilot’s remains
A woman cries as she holds a picture of downed Russian pilot during a protest supporting Russia in front of the Turkish embassy in Sofia on November 26, 2015. (AFP/Dimitar Dilkoff)
Click here to add .‘Separatist as an alert
Disable alert for .‘Separatist,
Click here to add Ahmet Davutoglu as an alert
Disable alert for Ahmet Davutoglu,
Click here to add and two police as an alert
Disable alert for and two police,
Click here to add Ankara as an alert
Disable alert for Ankara,
Click here to add Brussels as an alert
Disable alert for Brussels,
Click here to add Diyarbakir Bar Association as an alert
Disable alert for Diyarbakir Bar Association,
Click here to add European Union as an alert
Disable alert for European Union,
Click here to add Tahir Elci as an alert
Disable alert for Tahir Elci,
Click here to add Turkish government as an alert
Disable alert for Turkish government,
Click here to add Turkish military as an alert
Disable alert for Turkish military
Turkey says it has received the body of a pilot from the Russian SU-24 shot down earlier this week.
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told reporters in Ankara on Sunday that the remains had been received on Saturday night.
“The pilot, who lost his life during [Tuesday’s] airspace violation, was delivered to us last night at 01:45 [11:45 GMT],” Davutoglu said in Ankara, speaking ahead of his departure for a high-level EU meeting in Brussels.
“The body will be delivered to Russia,” he added.
The Turkish government said on Tuesday that its F-16s shot down the Russian SU-24 after several warnings against its violation of Turkish airspace over the southern province of Hatay.
One of the pilots of the SU-24 died in the incident while the other was rescued by Russian special forces in Syria.
Davutoglu said that attempts to pin the blame on Turkey after the episode were “invalid” in terms of international law.
“The latest statements from Russia are not acceptable in terms of neighboring countries’ relations,” he said.
Saying that the Turkish military did what was necessary in a “legitimate” way, Davutoglu clarified that Tuesday’s actions were not directed specifically at Russia.
Speaking on yesterday’s killing of the president of the Diyarbakir Bar Association, Tahir Elci, and two police officers, Davutoglu said:
“The separatist terrorist organization was responsible for all those incidents,” he said.
‘Separatist terrorist organization’ is widely understood as being a reference to the PKK.
“Our fight against them will continue in a decisive way,” Davutoglu added.
The prime minster also said a ballistics report had revealed that the firearm which was found near Elci’s body was the same weapon which was used to kill the first police officer who died in Saturday’s incident.
Davutoglu previously told reporters on Saturday that two possible scenarios were being looked into in relation to Elci's killing.
The first possibility, he said, was that the attack was an “assassination attempt against Tahir Elci”. The second scenario is that Elci was caught in the crossfire, Davutoglu said.