Two dead in Beirut as Lebanon PM rebuffs calls to quit
The Lebanese security forces early Thursday morning raided a building in Beirut, after a gunman opened fire.. According to an official, the gunman was killed and the body of another man was found inside an apartment on the sixth floor of a building in a western district of Beirut. At least six members of the security forces were wounded by the shooter. The army and the police had gone on alert on Wednesday night after receiving reports of gunshots. The man then threw grenades and opened fire on security forces from his apartment. The reasons for the incident have not been clarified. Tensions are growing in Lebanon amid the ongoing crisis in Syria. During an informal discussion with journalists, Lebanon's Prime Minister Najib Mikati said he would continue to fulfill his responsibilities. Asked about calls for his resignation, Mr. Mikati said he will not resign because he believes there is an attempt to destroy the country. "I will stay to prevent this from happening," he said. Asked about the possibility of submitting to the Court of Justice the records of the incident in which two anti-Syrian sheikhs were killed earlier this week, Mikati said he had no objection to this in principle, stressing the need first to consult with the Minister of Justice. "Justice has already taken steps with the soldiers who were at the checkpoint. The investigation is ongoing to clarify what happened," he said. He added: "Nobody has any immunity. We are ready to solve all the problems provided it is done according to law. "