Two Iraqis die in attacks as at least 18 bodies found
Iraqi police shot a prisoner dead during a jail break in Tikrit while a civilian died in roadside bombing just outside Baghdad. According to AFP, nine prisoners participated in the breakout north of the Iraqi capital but guards opened fire killing one and injuring two. The other six detainees managed to escape, a police officer from Tikrit said.
The roadside bombing in the Naharvan neighbourhood on the outskirts of Baghdad targeted a passing US military vehicle, a police officer said. Two civilians were also injured. A second roadside bombing in the Al-Bayae neighbourhood of Baghdad injured two policemen.
Meanwhile, police found three bodies near a water purification plant in Baghdad, and the body of a former member of Saddam Hussein's Baath party was found in the main northern city of Mosul.
Late Friday, the bullet-riddled bodies of 14 Sunni men seized by Shiite-led forces last week were found in Baghdad. The bodies were shot multiple times and dumped in the back of a truck in northern Baghdad late Friday, said Maj. Gen. Hussein Ali Kamal, the Interior Ministry's head of intelligence.
- Iraq: Bodies of two U.S. embassy workers found; at least 26 die in blasts
- US forces kill nine Iraqi civilians as four bodies found in Baghdad
- Multiple attacks in Iraq Wednesday morning kill 11, 14 bodies found in capital
- Iraq: Ten bodies found as two die in blast
- At least 10 dead in Iraq bombing attack; 76 bodies found