Two Iraqis shot dead as Turkish cabinet decides to send troops to Iraq
Two Iraqi army veterans, awaiting a back salary payment, were shot dead and eight others injured late Sunday by US troops who thought the men were about to riot, a police officer told AFP. The US military had no immediate comment about the incident in the city of Kirkuk 255 kilometres north of Baghdad.
Meanwhile, Turkey's Cabinet agreed Monday to send forces to Iraq. But the decision must be approved by Parliament, where many oppose any deployment. Lawmakers are likely to vote this week.
Government spokesman Cemil Cicek said forces would be deployed for one year, adding: "We hope that they stay for less than one year." (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iraq: At least 11 dead as Turkish cabinet looks for Parliament approval
- Source: Turkey not to send troops to Iraq
- Iraq: At least eight dead as Britain to send more troops
- US troops kill four in Mosul as bodies of eight Iraqis found in Tikrit
- US holds Turkish soldiers in Baghdad, British journalist shot dead