Two killed in Basra blast as American soldier jailed for prisoner abuse
A roadside bomb went off near the American embassy office in the southern Iraq city of Basra Saturday, killing two people and injuring three, Reuters said.
The two were traveling in a car at the time of the explosion,, a witness said, adding the vehicle was destroyed. Those injured were passers-by.
Meanwhile, the first US military intelligence soldier to be court-martialled over the Abu Ghraib abuse scandal was sentenced Saturday to eight months in jail, a reduction in rank and a bad-conduct discharge. Specialist Armin Cruz, a military intelligence analyst, had pleaded guilty to maltreatment and conspiracy to maltreat detainees. The court martial accepted his guilty plea. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Abuse of Iraqi detainees: US soldier sentenced to one year in prison
- Iraq prisoner abuse: US soldier sentenced to eight years
- Some 200 people killed and wounded in Iraq blast
- At least seven dead in Baghdad market explosion as US soldier killed in mortar attack
- Five Iraqis killed in Basra as report says top US officers were aware of prisoner abuse