Two killed in Basra blast as American soldier jailed for prisoner abuse
A roadside bomb went off near the American embassy office in the southern Iraq city of Basra Saturday, killing two people and injuring three, Reuters said.
The two were traveling in a car at the time of the explosion,, a witness said, adding the vehicle was destroyed. Those injured were passers-by.
Meanwhile, the first US military intelligence soldier to be court-martialled over the Abu Ghraib abuse scandal was sentenced Saturday to eight months in jail, a reduction in rank and a bad-conduct discharge. Specialist Armin Cruz, a military intelligence analyst, had pleaded guilty to maltreatment and conspiracy to maltreat detainees. The court martial accepted his guilty plea. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Five Iraqis killed in Basra as report says top US officers were aware of prisoner abuse
- US frees more prisoners from Abu Ghraib jail; at least 12 killed in attack south of Baghdad
- Blasts in Basra and Baghdad kill six Iraqis, wound others as U.S. troops shoot dead top Baghdad official
- Iraq prisoner abuse: US soldier sentenced to eight years
- Nine Iraqis dead as top US officers cleared in prisoner abuse case