UAE’s Charity Organisation Ends Murderer's Plight
A convicted murderer was released from Dubai Central Prison Saturday after a charity organization helped raise the blood money owed to the family of his victim, reported the Gulf Times Sunday.
The paper said that Abdulla Ahamed Bava served 16 years of a life sentence for the 1984 murder of fellow Indian Mallilea Begum Hassan whose strangled body was found in a box near his room. The killer was sentenced to life imprisonment at the Dubai Court of First Instance on 25 November 1984, as well as being ordered to pay Dh 70,000 as blood money or “diyya.”
The 47-year-old father of two became eligible for release three years ago but had only managed to earn Dh 7,000 by working in jail, said the Gulf Times.
Earlier this year, the Dubai Committee of Kerala-based charity organization Jamia Sahadiya Arabia took up the case and raised the remaining Dh 63,000 needed to secure his release, according to the Emirati daily – Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Convicted Murderer of Toddler Freed after 15 Years in Jail
- Iranian Saved from Hanging after Four Minutes of Execution
- Dubai Court Sentences Indian for 15 Years in Jail for Murder
- UAE Court Slashes 943-Year Jail Terms in Corruption Case
- Dubai Charity Association Honored for Services to Handicapped, Elderly