UAE Addresses Increasing Obesity
UAE health officials have become increasingly alarmed with the country's obesity problem after a recent report revealed that 40 percent of males and 30 percent of affected by this condition. This phenomenon is relatively new in the Emirates and has been exacerbated by the proliferation of western fast-food restaurants and a lack of awareness of the importance of exercise. The government has launched a new national campaign to address obesity under the slogan: "Your health depends on your weight."
This is the first campaign initiated by the ministry of health to address obesity, al-Itihad daily reports. As part of the campaign, the ministry plans to place scales in public sites in Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi, including shopping malls. This anti-obesity drive is coordinated with Dr. Abd al-Rahman Musayqar, Gulf nutrition specialist.
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- The Avenues Mall joined movement for healthy living
- Join the fight against Obesity with VLCC on November 26
- Al Islami supports UAE health initiative to combat obesity with a new communication strategy
- Health Sector Seminar to fight child obesity in the UAE
- Expert Warns Diabetes 'Will Strike Half of UAE Population in 25 years'