Former UK minister to hold press conference in Iran
An Iranian official says former British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, who is heading a parliamentary delegation during its visit to Iran, is to have a press conference in the Iranian capital on Wednesday.
"Jack Straw, the head of Britain's parliamentary delegation, will have a press conference on Wednesday evening this week, which will be held at the Islamic Consultative Assembly," Iranian parliamentary official Mahdi Kiayi said, Fars News Agency reported on Tuesday.
The mission travelled to Tehran on Monday and is due to return to Britain on Friday.
"Britain's parliamentary delegation, on its visit to Tehran, alongside meeting its Iranian counterpart, will meet with other political and parliamentary officials, but is not scheduled to meet the heads of [government] branches."
Last December, Britain’s new non-resident Charge d'affaires to Iran, Ajay Sharma visited Tehran to hold consultations with Iranian officials and reopen Britain’s mission in the Islamic Republic.
Sharma was the first British diplomat to travel to Iran since ties between Tehran and London were severed in 2011.
Iran and Britain agreed in October last year to appoint non-resident chargés d’affaires as a first step toward reopening their respective embassies.
The development followed a September meeting between Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif and British Foreign Secretary William Hague in New York, during which they discussed ways to improve Tehran-London ties based on mutual respect.
- British Pound Holds Ground as Bank of England Maintains Current Policy, Euro Remains Bid Ahead of ECB Press Conference
- British, Iranian ministers meet to discuss energy ties after UK embassy reopening
- Press: Key Reformist Minister Resigns in Iran
- Valdai Dead Sea: Former Russian PM says Iran not to acquire nuclear weapons
- Iran to Hold another Pro-Palestine Conference in October