UN Chief Prosecutor Ponte Visits Rwanda
The UN chief prosecutor tackling cases of genocide and crimes against humanity in Rwanda, Carla Del Ponte, arrived here Tuesday, according to the UN court for Rwanda.
Details about the duration of and reason for Del Ponte's visit to the Rwandan capital were not immediately available.
A week of national mourning began Sunday in Rwanda to mark the seventh anniversary of the 1994 genocide, in which between 500,000 and 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus were slaughtered by Hutu extremists.
The United Nations' International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), which sits in the northern Tanzanian town of Arusha, is trying some of the main architects of the slaughter – KIGALI (AFP)
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Republic of Rwanda Statement on the Arrest of C. Peter Erlinder
- Trial of Rwandan Genocide Suspects Resume Despite Boycott Threat
- UN Police Arrest Rwandan Genocide Suspect in Kosovo
- Serbia Presses UN Prosecutor to Look into Albanian War Crimes
- War Crimes Prosecutor to File New Indictment Against Milosevic