UN to Continue Verification of Withdrawal Wednesday
UNIFIL teams are to resume work Wednesday on the verification of Israel's withdrawal from south Lebanon in full compliance with UN Security Council Resolution 425, reported the Israeli daily Jerusalem Post.
The verification process, slated to continue yesterday afternoon, was postponed until this morning because senior Lebanese Army officers helping to coordinate UNIFIL's work on their side of the border were attending the funeral of the late Syrian president Hafez Assad, said the daily.
Their return was also delayed by huge traffic jams on the Beirut-Damascus highway.
Diplomatic sources were quoted as saying that Lebanese officials and Lebanese army soldiers are working with the UNIFIL teams for their own purposes, as well as to confirm that the Israeli pullback is complete.
The verification was expected to be completed Wednesday, but it is not certain that it will be finished as late as tomorrow because the remaining section is the most problematic, according to the daily - Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Lebanese President Criticizes Rush to Certify Israeli Withdrawal
- UN Verification of Israeli Withdrawal Postponed Indefinitely
- Lebanese Official: Work to Check Alleged Israeli Border Violations Delayed
- UNIFIL Continues Work Checking Israeli Withdrawal Line
- Israel Ready to Correct Border Violations on Lebanon Border