UNHCR Appoints Tunisian as Assistant High Commissioner
Kamel Morjane, a long-serving United Nations official from Tunisia, has been appointed Assistant UN High Commissioner for Refugees, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) said on Friday.
Morjane, 53, has worked with the Geneva-based UNHCR for nearly 20 years, most recently as the UN Secretary-General's Special Representative in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
He has also served as Tunisia's representative to the UN in Geneva.
Morjane is due to take up his new role as assistant to High Commissioner Ruud Lubbers on October 1.
He replaces Denmark's Soren Jessen-Petersen, who joined the UNHCR in 1973 and became Assistant High Commissioner in 1998 -- GENEVA (AFP)
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- DR Congo Refugees Riot over Food Shortages in Zambian Camp
- UNHCR: Thousands Flee Macedonia Fighting for Kosovo
- UNHCR to Begin Repatriating Ethiopian Refugees from Sudan
- Annan in ”deep shock” over the death of at least 25 Sudanese refugees in Cairo clashes
- UNHCR Staff Evacuated from West Timor Town after Fatal Militia Attack