United States: Cyprus agreement possible by end of June
The United States government supports United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan's statement that between now and the end of June the focal issues on the Cyprus problem can be resolved, provided there is the necessary political will, the Cyprus News Agency reported Friday.
U.S. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said during his daily briefing that there is a need for further urgency with regards to the talks on the Cyprus problem.
In addition, he expressed Washington's strong support towards the United Nations Secretary General's visit to Cyprus and to his statements before leaving the island Thursday following a two-day working visit.
"We agree with the Secretary General's statement that the two leaders, between now and the end of June, can resolve all the core issues, provided they go about their task decisively and with the necessary political will", Boucher said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- United States urges sides in Cyprus to seize “historic opportunity”
- US State Department Official to visit Cyprus, Turkey in June
- United Nations Secretary General to visit Cyprus
- Leaders continue direct talks on Cyprus issue
- Cyprus Foreign Minister details messages conveyed by United Nations Secretary General