United States supports de-mining of areas in Cyprus
Washington has welcomed "the readiness expressed by both sides" in Cyprus "to discuss with the UN Forces in Cyprus the de-mining of areas in and around Nicosia, including within the UN buffer zone", the official Cyprus News Agency reported Wednesday.
US State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said "removing the dangers that are posed by existing minefields could make an important contribution toward improving the atmosphere on the island, in particular by improving the safety with which Cypriots may cross the 'Green Line'."
According to the agency, Boucher noted, however that confidence-building measures are not a substitute for a comprehensive settlement. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- UAE Supports Lebanon’s Demining with $50m
- Deputy Defense Secretary: United States supports “urgent and lasting solution” to Cyprus dispute
- Greece welcomes Cyprus announcement on confidence building measures
- United States urges sides in Cyprus to seize “historic opportunity”
- Cyprus President receives United States Ambassador