United States urges sides in Cyprus to seize “historic opportunity”
Washington called upon the two sides in Cyprus to seize the “historic opportunity” that exists before the European Union (EU) decides for enlargement in Copenhagen in December, and work urgently with the United Nations Secretary-General to achieve a Cyprus settlement, the Cyprus News Agency reported on Tuesday.
In a statement released after the UN presented Cyprus President Glafcos Clerides and Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash with a proposal for a Cyprus settlement Monday, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher expressed the United States’ full support to the ongoing UN efforts to find a just and durable settlement to the problem. (Albawaba.com)
- Rice arrives in Israel, says disengagement plan - ”historic opportunity”
- UN Chief calls on Cyprus sides to seize chance for settlement
- Cyprus President: Window of Opportunity should be seized
- US State Dept. Deputy Spokesman: ''Historic opportunity'' for Cyprus settlement exists
- US Assistant Secretary of State urges Arab reforms “from within”