US Assistant Secretary of State praises Rabat’s cooperation in combating terrorism
Visiting US Assistant Secretary of State on Monday praised Morocco's cooperation in the ongoing struggle against terrorism, according to the official Maghreb Arabe Press.
"I conveyed to King Mohammed VI the appreciation of the US administration for Morocco's support and cooperation in the struggle against terrorism," United States Undersecretary for the Middle East and North Africa, William Burns, said during a press conference in the capital of Rabat.
"Morocco remains an exceptional ally in the war against terror," Burns said, and added he had held excellent talks with King Mohammed VI on various bilateral and regional issues.
Moreover, Burns praised Rabat as a model of tolerance, noting that this model of understanding is "very important for the region, especially in these moments."
Burns said Washington appreciates Morocco's "ambitious and courageous economic and political reforms", noting that Washington will continue to back these efforts, according to MAP.
The beginning of formal negotiations for the conclusion of a free trade accord with Morocco is an illustration of the excellent relations between Rabat and Washington, Burns said, adding that the projected accord will be beneficial to both countries. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US Assistant Secretary of State wraps up Algeria visit; next stop: Tunisia
- Bulletin published in Washington praises reforms in Morocco
- US Secretary of State to embark on rare Maghreb region visit as part of ''war on terror''
- Moroccan King receives US Trade Secretary in Rabat
- Tunisian President, US Assistant Secretary of State hold talks