US Continues to Pound Afghanistan, 40-50 Civilians Claimed Dead in Bombed Bus
US warplanes continued their air strikes on Afghanistan on Thursday morning, with the Taliban reporting the deaths of dozens of civilians when a bomb blew up a bus.
US aircraft bombed and destroyed a packed bus in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, killing everyone on board, the Taliban said on Thursday.
"This morning American planes bombed Kabuli gate in Kandahar city and destroyed a big bus which was full of passengers," Education Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi, who acts as the regime's main spokesman, told AFP.
"Everyone on the bus was killed," he said.
Muttaqi could not give an exact figure for the dead but a large packed bus of the kind described by the Taliban would have been carrying at least 40, perhaps 50, people.
The incident could not be independently confirmed and the United States has accused the Taliban of repeatedly exaggerating or inventing incidents involving civilian casualties.
So far, Taliban and other sources have confirmed that the US attacks have struck a hospital in Herat, a nursing home in Kandahar, a village near the city, and a fuel tanker convoy. In all, hundreds of civilians have been killed – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Naguib Mahfouz Likens US Strikes on Afghanistan to September Attacks
- U.S. Continues Bombings in Afghanistan
- US Planes Continue to Bomb Afghanistan, OIC Ministers Discuss Response
- US Planes Pound Afghanistan for Fourth Day in a Row, Six Reported Killed
- US Warplanes Continue with Afghan Raids, Bomb Fuel Convoy, ‘Mosque’