U.S. denies halt in Egypt aid flow
For Illustrative Purposes (Wikimedia Commons/Susan Sterner)
Click here to add Josh Earnest as an alert
Disable alert for Josh Earnest,
Click here to add Mohamed Badie as an alert
Disable alert for Mohamed Badie,
Click here to add Muslim Brotherhood as an alert
Disable alert for Muslim Brotherhood,
Click here to add White House as an alert
Disable alert for White House
The United States has not cut off aid to Egypt, a White House spokesman said Tuesday in a press briefing.
"That review has not concluded and ... published reports to the contrary that assistance to Egypt has been cut off are not accurate," White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters, referring to extensive media reports that the US had halted military aid to Egypt, following the military government's crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood.
The aid, while not stopped, was however under review.
""Assistance is provided episodically. Assistance is provided in tranches," Earnest said.
Mr Earnest added that the United States was critical of Egypt's arrest of Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohamed Badie, earlier on Tuesday.