US denies reports on Al-Zarqawi capture
The US military denied reports that occupation forces had captured Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi. "It's not true," said Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt, the occupation's deputy director for military operations.
US ambassador Richard Jones also said Monday that he doubted these reports.
Earlier it was reported that al-Zarqawi, the man believed to be leading the resistance in Iraq, has been captured. Al Zarqawi is America's most wanted man in Iraq. The reports said he had been captured in the town of Hilla, south of Baghdad. The area is under the responsibility of Polish forces.
Al Zarqawi is believed to have been behind a number of kidnappings and beheadings. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Al-Yawer: ”Nonsense” to ask for US troop pullout as Zarqawi activists say four guardsmen captured
- US doubts reports on al-Zarqawi death
- Bloody day in Iraq: Over 100, including three US troops, killed in multiple attacks as al Zarqawi vows more
- Al-Zarqawi Death: Myth vs. Reality
- ''Statement'' claims senior al Qaeda operative in Iraq ''killed'' by US bombing