US displays strategy shift regarding North Korea
After nearly three years of talks regarding North Korean nuclear capabilities, the United States showed new signs of flexibility during a three hour meeting between representatives of the two countries.
US officials discussed options for potential aide to North Korea in return for a freeze on nuclear production as a starting point for eventual cessation of all nuclear activity, a strategy similar to that which led ultimately to the dismantling of Libya's nuclear program more than two years ago.
According to Kyodo news sources, despite the mood of optimism at the talks, which also included representatives from Russia, Japan, China, North and South Korea and the US, many feel that substantial progress regarding North Korea's nuclear program has yet to be achieved, Pyongyang has yet to admit having nuclear capabilities of any sort.
- North Korea: Nuclear talks to resume once dust settles from US war drills
- S. Korea officials: Pyongyang not intent on producing nuclear weapons
- North Korea again denies nuclear cooperation with Syria
- Senior South Korean envoy in Moscow for talks on nuclear crisis
- U.N. nuclear inspectors to leave North Korea