US envoy fails to persuade Moscow on nuke cooperation with Tehran
The visiting high-ranking American diplomat for arms control made little progress in his efforts to persuade Russia to end nuclear cooperation with Iran, a diplomatic source told the Interfax news agency on Tuesday.
John Bolton, the under-secretary of state for arms control and international security, met Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Kislyak on Monday and also held a short meeting Tuesday with Atomic Energy Minister Alexander Rumyantsev.
"There were no new developments on the subject of Iran at Bolton's consultations at the foreign ministry," the unidentified source told Interfax.
"The American side confirmed its concern about the Iranian nuclear program and the Russian side once again spoke of the complete transparency of its nuclear cooperation with Tehran," the Russian source added. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Russia: No evidence for Iranian secret nuclear weapons program
- Strong American message to Russia: Stop nuclear cooperation with Iran
- Ahead of talks with US: Russia defends nuclear cooperation with Iran
- Russia unmoved by Israeli pressure: Nuclear cooperation with Iran to continue
- Russia, Iran stress continuation of nuclear cooperation