US forces kill ''10 armed Iraqis'' as four Iraqi officers shot dead in Baghdad area
US occupation troops killed 10 "armed Iraqis," who were apparently trying to set up an ambush near a town northeast of Baghdad, the U.S. military said Tuesday.
According to a statement by the US the command, a US patrol saw 10 Iraqis armed with automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade launchers Monday night north of the town of Muqdadiyah.
"The men were apparently establishing an ambush position," the statement said. "The armed men did not comply with warnings and in response the soldiers fired, killing all 10."
The soldiers recovered five AK-47 assault rifles, four grenade launchers, five rocket propelled grenades, two machine guns, two hand grenades and a pair of night vision goggles, the statement added.
Elsewhere, two pairs of Iraqi police officers were shot as they drove to work Tuesday morning in Baghdad, Interior Ministry sources said.
The four officers were killed when gunmen sprayed their vehicles with bullets. In each case, the officers were traveling together. A major and captain were killed in western Baghdad; two brothers, both lieutenants, ahot dead in the eastern part of the capital, the sources said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- More U.S. soldiers, Iraqis killed in attacks, blasts
- Two US troops killed as American soldiers shoot dead four Iraqis including two pro-Saddam demonstrators
- American soldier killed in Baghdad, two Iraqis shot dead
- Another US soldier killed in Iraq as Chalabi says Saddam seen north of Baghdad
- At least 20 killed in Iraq attacks