U.S. forces potentially preparing to move into Syria
US Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel. AFP Photo/Paul J. Richards
Click here to add AFP as an alert
Disable alert for AFP,
Click here to add Barack Obama as an alert
Disable alert for Barack Obama,
Click here to add Bashar al Assad as an alert
Disable alert for Bashar al Assad,
Click here to add Chuck Hagel as an alert
Disable alert for Chuck Hagel,
Click here to add Department of Defense as an alert
Disable alert for Department of Defense,
Click here to add Obama administration as an alert
Disable alert for Obama administration,
Click here to add Pentagon as an alert
Disable alert for Pentagon,
Click here to add Washington as an alert
Disable alert for Washington
The Pentagon could be moving forces into place ahead of possible military action against Syria, U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel suggested on Friday, following mounting international concern over alleged chemical warfare in the crisis-torn country.
En route to Malaysia, Hagel told reporters the U.S. was positioning naval forces and assets in anticipation of any decision by President Barack Obama to order military action on Syria.
“The Defense Department has a responsibility to provide the president with options for all contingencies,” Hagel said, according to comments carried by AFP news agency.
“And that requires positioning our forces, positioning our assets to be able to carry out different options -- whatever the president might choose.”
Hagel however declined to provide any details on the positioning of U.S. ships, aircraft or troops, as the Obama administration reportedly contemplated cruise missile strikes against Assad’s forces.
Meanwhile, Obama has said Washington must be wary of costly and difficult foreign interventions.
“The president has asked the Defense Department for options. Like always, the Defense Department is prepared and has been prepared to provide all options for all contingencies to the president of the United States,” Hagel said.
The Pentagon chief made clear that no decision had been taken on whether to employ military force as the more than two-year-old conflict rages on.