US embassy in Lebanon in hot water after alleged Hezbollah meetings
The US embassy in Lebanon was forced to deny reports that its officials have been meeting in secret with Hezbollah. (AFP/File)
Click here to add David Hale as an alert
Disable alert for David Hale,
Click here to add Hizballah as an alert
Disable alert for Hizballah,
Click here to add United States embassy in Lebanon as an alert
Disable alert for United States embassy in L ...,
Click here to add US embassy in Lebanon as an alert
Disable alert for US embassy in Lebanon
The United States embassy in Lebanon denied on Tuesday reports saying US officials have been engaged in talks with Hezbollah.
"No official at the embassy has or is engaged in discussion with members of the terrorist organization Hezbollah,” the Embassy clarified to Naharnet in a statement.
The Kuwaiti al-Anbaa newspaper reported on Monday that indirect and secret contacts are ongoing between Hezbollah and the US embassy in Lebanon.
The daily quoted a March 14 MP as saying that the “relations between the Hezbollah and the US are developing positively.”
The MP also noted that US Ambassador to Lebanon David Hale informed various Lebanese leaders that “a cabinet can not be formed without Hezbollah participation.”
However, the embassy's statement also denied this claim, stressing that the makeup of the new Lebanese cabinet is to be decided by the Lebanese people only.
"We will judge the government not by its numbers, but by its composition, mandate and actions,” it remarked.
- Sex, drugs, and Knesset polls! Israeli lawmaker in hot water over prostitutes, meth, and gambling
- Arafat, Peres Set to Meet After Fruitless Security Talks; Israel Launches New Incursion
- Lebanon TV debate turns into violent slapfest after guests talk Syria
- Jordanian Islamist Leader : We Have no Problem Meeting with US Embassy Officials
- How Israel is, allegedly, taking advantage of Lebanon's 'distractions' to steal its gas