US navy reports aircraft carrier collision with small boat in Arabian Gulf
The USS John F. Kennedy aircraft carrier collided with a dhow in the Arabian Gulf while conducting night flights in support of U.S. forces in Iraq, the Navy said Friday. The crew of the small boat was missing.
The Navy said none of its sailors were hurt and described the Thursday night collision as an "accident." A nearby British warship, the Somerset, dispatched teams to search for the dhow's crew but had found nothing so far, the Navy said in a statement from its 5th Fleet headquarters in Bahrain.
Fleet spokesman Cmdr. James Graybeal told The AP that "there is nothing to indicate that this is anything more than a maritime accident." (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Nuclear-powered US Navy submarine collides with Turkish cargo ship in the Arabian Gulf
- U.S. F-14 Fighter Jet Crashed in Mediterranean Sea; One Killed
- U.S. Navy helicopter crashes in the Gulf; one person killed
- Kuwait: Seven US servicemen wounded in helicopter crash
- Two British helicopters colide in Gulf region; Seven crew members killed