US official says Saddam provides ''useful information'' as Wolfowitz pays visit to Iraq
US officials have received "useful information" from direct interrogation of captive leader Saddam Hussein, a top military official said Sunday.
The official would not specify what the information was, but said it allowed interrogators to confirm some suspicions and reject other data.
Speaking to reporters on condition of anonymity, the official said both documents and the results of questioning of Saddam have allowed the military to hunt for some people involved in attacks on US troops.
He added military officials believe there are 14 cells of Saddam sympathizers in the Baghdad area and that many of them had already lost their leaders in US raids.
The official commented shortly after Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz flew to Iraq to visit troops that he says were "justified" in ousting Saddam because the former president violated US resolutions ordering him to disarm.
The Pentagon's second-in-command arrived in the Iraqi capital from Germany where he said flawed intelligence about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction should be investigated, but that the inability of inspectors to find such weapons did not mean the war was unnecessary.
"It's exciting to be back," he said after landing near Baghdad. He complimented both military and civilian men and women working to stabilize the country. "They're making the world safer for our children," Wolfowitz said, according to The AP.
He added he looks forward to meeting with commanders and troops in the field and is especially interested in assessing how a massive rotation of military forces is going. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Blast kills six Iraqis as British source says Saddam not providing useful information
- Rumsfeld says too early to know if Aziz provides useful information; Report: France updated Iraq on US moves before war
- US official: Former Iranian deputy defense minister providing information on Hizbullah
- Former Iraqi spy chief arrested; Rumsfeld: Captives provide ''useful'' information
- Turkey may allow U.S. to use military bases; Annan happy with Iraq cooperation