US report: Israel uses excessive force against Palestinians
Israeli troops often use excessive force when confronting Palestinian demonstrations or pursuing suspects, according to a report on human rights report issued by the U.S. State Department on Wednesday.
The report also said that Israeli soldiers impeded medical aid to Palestinian civilians at roadblocks, and carried out policies of demolitions, strict curfews, and closures that directly punished innocent civilians.
Israel's human rights record in the West Bank and Gaza Strip in 2003 "remained poor and worsened in the treatment of foreign human rights activists," the report added.
The report, which details human rights practices throughout the world, also said the Palestinian Authority's overall human rights record "remained poor" and that it continued to commit "numerous, serious abuses." (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Syria rejects US report on human rights
- New report: Israeli soldiers cause ''unprecedented physical injury to Palestinian civilians''
- US report cites Israel and Arab countries as having major human rights flaws
- US Asks Israel \'Tough Questions\' about Assassinations of Palestinian Leaders
- Rights Group Condemns Israel, Palestinians over Violence