US soldier killed in Baghdad as new pics of abuse in Abu Ghraib prison released
Iraqi resistance fighter with hand grenades killed a U.S. soldier and injured three in central Baghdad early Thursday, the military said.
Meanwhile, new pictures broadcast by US media have shown American prison guards smiling over the body of an Iraqi prisoner in Abu Ghraib prison.
The photos showed Army Specialist Charles Graner grinning with his thumbs up as he peers into the camera over an unidentified body lying on a black body bag.
A second, almost identical picture was taken of Specialist Sabrina Harman over the same body. Both were shown on CNN television.
Numerous photographs have been shown only to US lawmakers and kept by the Pentagon as evidence in upcoming courts-martial.
According to AFP, the Pentagon on Wednesday informed a Senate committee by letter that it had located another disc with 24 digital photographs of "apparent abusive acts by US forces."
Thirteen of the pictures on the disc "appear to be images already seen on international television media," the Pentagon said in its letter. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iraq prisoner abuse: US soldier sentenced to eight years
- Abuse of Iraqi detainees: US soldier sentenced to one year in prison
- Seven US soldiers ''reprimanded'' over Iraqi prisoner abuse
- Amid growing Arab outrage, Bush condemns humiliation of Iraqi prisoners
- Iraqi prisoners scandal: Bush backs Rumsfeld, Pentagon set to realease new pics