US soldiers ambushed west of Baghdad; Unofficial report: Eight troops killed
US forces have been involved in a fierce gun battle after they were ambushed with a remote-controlled bomb, then attacked with small arms fire in the town of Khaldiyah, 80 kilometers west of Baghdad.
Earlier it was reported that the American forces have taken heavy casualties in the series of attacks.
One television report said eight Americans were killed and one wounded. Journalists said two US tanks surrounded a smouldering transport truck and helicopters hovered above.
Dubai-based Al-Arabiya television reported that eight Americans were killed and one wounded.
An AP reporter at the scene could not get closer to verify the casualty reports and was fired on by one of the tanks with three rounds from its 50-calibre machine gun. According to Sky News, it appeared the Americans were trying to protect themselves until reinforcements arrived. The Americans were taking fire from unknown positions.
Meanwhile, according to the US military, two U.S. soldiers were injured on Thursday when their convoy was attacked by gunfire and explosives west of Baghdad.
A spokesman said a Humvee had been damaged in an attack east of the town of Ramadi. He could not, however, confirm whether it was the same incident as the attack near the town of Khaldiya which left two U.S. vehicles on fire. Khaldiya is west of Baghdad and east of Ramadi. (Albawaba.com)
- At least one U.S. soldier killed in clash west of Baghdad; Witnesses: U.S. soldiers injured in Fallujah
- Reports on two attacks against US military convoys west of Baghdad
- Blasts kill six American troops, two Iraqi civilians as three Iraqi fighters shot dead near Tikrit
- Witnesses: Several US soldiers injured in firefight close to Fallujah
- Bombing attack south of Baghdad as two US soldiers killed