US soldiers ambushed west of Baghdad; Unofficial report: Eight troops killed
US forces have been involved in a fierce gun battle after they were ambushed with a remote-controlled bomb, then attacked with small arms fire in the town of Khaldiyah, 80 kilometers west of Baghdad.
Earlier it was reported that the American forces have taken heavy casualties in the series of attacks.
One television report said eight Americans were killed and one wounded. Journalists said two US tanks surrounded a smouldering transport truck and helicopters hovered above.
Dubai-based Al-Arabiya television reported that eight Americans were killed and one wounded.
An AP reporter at the scene could not get closer to verify the casualty reports and was fired on by one of the tanks with three rounds from its 50-calibre machine gun. According to Sky News, it appeared the Americans were trying to protect themselves until reinforcements arrived. The Americans were taking fire from unknown positions.
Meanwhile, according to the US military, two U.S. soldiers were injured on Thursday when their convoy was attacked by gunfire and explosives west of Baghdad.
A spokesman said a Humvee had been damaged in an attack east of the town of Ramadi. He could not, however, confirm whether it was the same incident as the attack near the town of Khaldiya which left two U.S. vehicles on fire. Khaldiya is west of Baghdad and east of Ramadi. (Albawaba.com)
- Reports: Eight Algerian soldiers killed in ambush
- US soldier killed in ambush west of Baghdad
- Six British troops dead near Basra as US troops kill five Iraqis in separate incidents west of Baghdad
- Resistance attacks intensify: Two US soldiers, two Iraqis killed near Baghdad; Two troops missing
- Bombs kill two US soldiers, two children as three bodyguards of Kurdish security official killed in ambush