US State Department issues terror alert regarding Arab Gulf and Arabian Peninsula region
The US State Department warned it was increasingly concerned that terrorists may be preparing attacks against US citizens and interests in the Arab Gulf and Arabian peninsula region.
"The US government continues to receive information about potential terrorist actions against US interests abroad," the department said in a public announcement. "There is growing concern that individuals may be planning terrorist actions against United States citizens and interests in the region of the Persian Gulf and the Arabian Peninsula." "US citizens should exercise caution in those areas at this time."
No details were provided as to which individual states were considered possible venues for terror attacks, or where or when assaults could take place. But the warning restated US concerns that Americans could become targets amid widespread anti-American feeling in the Middle East sparked by the crisis between Israel and the Palestinians, AFP said.
In a general warning, the State Department last month warned all Americans to be vigilant, fearing that US citizens and interests could become so called "soft targets" for terrorist sympathizers.
Wednesday's announcement came two days after the State Department warned of a possible terrorist attack against US interest in Yemen this week, and closed its embassy in Sanaa to the public. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US Warns of Terrorism Threat in Arabian Peninsula
- U.S. increases alert status after Yemen attack
- State Department report: Middle East is of greatest concern in fight against ''terrorism''
- Terrorism Threat Puts US Troops in Arabian Gulf on Peak Alert
- U.S. warns its citizens of terror attacks in Yemen, Djibouti