US warns Israel is eager to start a war in Lebanon: Media report
Saudi Arabia recently issued a travel warning against Lebanon following suspension of military aid. (AFP/Abbas Momani)
A Lebanese newspaper affliated with the Iranian-backed Shi’ite militia Hezbollah reported on Saturday that American officials have warned Beirut that Israel is planning to initiate a war against its neighbor to the north.
According to Al Akhbar, the Americans told the Lebanese “not to give Israel an excuse to start a war.”
The report stated that US officials were informed by their Israeli counterparts that Jerusalem is interested in igniting a war, particularly in light of Saudi Arabia’s strategic shift.
“Pressure needs to be applied on Hezbollah not to make any mistake that would lead to a replay of the events of 2006,” the newspaper quoted American sources as saying.
- The coup attempt that started a war: Israel’s invasion of Lebanon, its causes and consequences
- Lebanon starts trial pumping of water from the Wazzani despite Israel objection
- Losing its morals and marbles: Israel’s fight for Lebanon
- Israel calims Hizbullah raid is ”act of war” by Lebanon
- Khatib tells Hezbollah to leave Syria, warns of regional religious war